TIC / GENERATION STORAGE
What is Turbine Inlet Chilling (TIC)?
Turbine inlet chilling is a system of air conditioning to cool inlet air into a gas turbine to maximize the gas turbine output across all ambient conditions.
Gas turbines are designed to have optimum performance at ISO conditions (sea level, 59F/15C, with 60% relative humidity). When the summer temperatures and humidity levels increase, the gas turbine output decreases. By chilling that output can be recovered.
What can TIC do for your Gas Turbine plant?
The overall benefit of TIC differs depending on the Gas turbine model you have.
What is Generation Storage?
Adding a thermally insulated generation storage tank to your chilling system allows the operator to maximize the power generated by the plant during peak power demands and thereby maximizing the potential income of the plant.
Pump Storage for Gas Plants
Example demonstrating the benefit after the retrofit of a plant with Turbine Inlet Chilling with Generation Storage.
- With our patented technology, series chillers allow TAS to extract 14% to 19% more refrigeration capacity out of commercial chillers while improving energy efficiency by 12 to 18%
- Series/Counter flow chillers provide TAS the exclusive right to use dual chillers in any TIC application whether for use in an on-line or a ThermalEnergy Storage (TES) application. Stored energy via a stratified thermal energy storage tank allows TAS to store energy in the form of chilled water.
- Variable turbine inlet temperature controls allows TAS to respond to rapidchanges in grid load by rapidly varying the output of the gas turbine byadjusting the inlet turbine air temperature, which can supplement thevariable generation caused by increased renewables.
- Variable speed pump for TIC/TES System allows TAS the exclusive right to usea variable speed pump for varying the flow of chilled water from the TES tank to the TIC cooling coil to modulate or maintain T2 turbine inlet air temperature set points.
TIC Retrofit & Additional Features
- Drainable Cooling Coil designs
- Filter House/Coil Module Retrofit experience
- TES Tank design and integration experience (and advantages of Pre-stressed Class III Concrete tanks)
- TIC/GS Financial Analysis & Optimization Tool & Owner Consultation Expertise
- Turnkey TIC Retrofit Experience
- TIC Aftermarket Customer Service capabilities